We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: January 30, 2015
Salvage Your Smile: How to Save a Knocked-Out Tooth
A knocked-out tooth is one of the most serious dental emergencies you can experience. If you don’t take action quickly or don’t know what to do, the chances of keeping your tooth alive and viable for reattachment are slim. Knowing how to handle the situation helps increase your chances of saving the tooth and enjoying the benefits of retaining natural teeth, such as superior appearance, better chewing function, maintenance of facial structure, and a healthier jawbone. The following tips can help you save your tooth when it temporarily takes a vacation from your mouth.
How to Save a Knocked-Out Tooth
- The most important thing to do when trying to save your tooth is to take action immediately; there is no time to lose. The first 30 minutes after a tooth is knocked out are critical to its survival.
- When you retrieve the tooth, handle it only by its crown. Never touch its root; this greatly reduces the chances of successful reattachment. Don’t try to remove any attached tissues, and never scrub or rub the tooth in an attempt to remove debris.
- If your tooth is dirty, rinse it gently under running water. Don’t use any soap, toothpaste, or chemicals, and don’t try to dry it off, or store it in tissue or cloth.
- After rinsing, attempt to place the tooth back into the empty socket. You can hold it in place with your fingers or bite down gently. If this isn’t possible, you must keep it moist another way until you can get to your dentist’s office. Preserve it by placing it in a container of milk or water with a little salt added.
- Obtain emergency dental care immediately. You may be able to save the tooth if you can see a dentist within the first few hours. For the best results, get to the office within the first hour. Your dentist may refer you to an endodontist for advanced care.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Bend, call The Dental Center of Indiana today or make an appointment.
The Dental Center of Indiana offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Bend. With 6 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Indiana, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Indiana.