Come Out of the Dark about Tooth Discoloration
Some people have perfect white smiles, but many suffer with teeth that have darkened and become discolored. If your smile is less than its best, see what’s causing this staining and how to regain the whiteness you want.
See the Root of Stained Teeth
It’s easy to see when your teeth are stained, but it’s hard to know the reason. While there isn’t one definitive answer, there are many possible causes for the discoloration of teeth, such as:
- Dark foods and drinks like blueberries, blackberries, cherries, beets, red wine, and soy sauce
- Dental damage
- Facial trauma
- Age, because tooth enamel naturally recedes over time, which reveals the darker layer of dentin beneath
Stop Staining before it Starts
No one wants to face the world with tooth discoloration, so discover what you can do to prevent the pain of stained teeth:
- Brush and floss your teeth after every meal to prevent stains from building up over time.
- Rinse your mouth with water after enjoying darker foods and beverages.
- Have regular professional dental cleanings to remove any surface stains.
- Get any needed dental procedures, such as root canals, done promptly because long-term dental damage can lead to the discoloration of teeth.
Top Treatments for Tooth Discoloration
If you think there’s no hope of having a whiter smile, think again. Today, there are many ways to brighten your smile and remove the stains that have stayed over time. Discuss your options with your dentist, but expect to choose from the following methods to lessen the discoloration of teeth:
- Over-the-counter whitening toothpastes, which may remove minor staining, but can cause sensitivity.
- At-home whitening treatments, which won’t whiten your smile as much or as fast as professional, in-office whitening.
- In-office, professional tooth whitening treatments, which can remove most stains in a single, short visit.
- For severely stained teeth that prove resistant to bleaching, crowns or veneers can be applied to completely cover signs of stains.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in South Bend, call The Dental Center of Indiana today at (855) 979-3358 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Bend. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Indiana, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Indiana.