We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: July 21, 2015
A Coated Tongue Is Telling You Something
Have you ever noticed an unusual color or coating on your tongue and wondered what it could mean? Well, it actually shows the health of your entire digestive system. Find out what these telltale signs on your tongue are saying about your system.
Your Tongue Shows the State of Your Metabolism
The coating on your tongue shows how well your body metabolizes food. It shows the state of your digestion and indicates any problems. This coating appears in the middle and back of your tongue. Look for these three signs:
- A Heavily Coated Tongue: caused by excessive pathogenic fluid, which indicates poor digestion.
- A Light, White Tongue Coating: reflects your digestive function.
- No Coating on Your Tongue: could indicate that your body is exhausted and is not producing enough fluids to promote healthy digestion.
A White Tongue Could Be a Sign of Candida
When you have a white tongue, then you probably have an overburdened digestive system. An overworked system results in slow digestion and improper function. This leads to a buildup of a bacteria or yeast called candida, and all of this shows on your tongue. If you have a white tongue, try these helpful hints:
- Practice a Healthy Lifestyle: Your digestion depends on your choices. Choosing healthy foods in proper amounts allows your body to metabolize food at a normal rate and keep your digestion running smoothly.
- Add More Enzymes: Regularly consume foods, beverages, and supplements that provide your system with enzymes, which improve your body’s ability to metabolize foods, as well as increase your overall mineral absorption.
- Eat Probiotic and Fermented Foods and Beverages: This is one of the easiest and most effective ways to get your digestion back on track. These powerful foods and beverages deliver live enzymes and healthy probiotics straight into your body. This prompts your digestive system to produce more beneficial bacteria, which is needed to fight candida and correct digestion issues.
- Include Spices in Your Diet: Some herbs and spices improve your digestion, such as turmeric, ginger, black pepper, cardamom, and fennel. Try adding these to your foods and beverages.
- Ensure Good Oral Hygiene: Bad bacteria needs to be prevented from entering your system and affecting your digestion. This is why you should brush your tongue whenever you brush and floss your teeth. Why should you brush your tongue, you may wonder? It helps you remove any harmful debris in the mouth that could affect your digestive system. Plus, if you have a coated tongue, it’s another reason why you should brush your tongue. You need to remove that bacteria buildup to keep it from causing more problems.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Bend, call The Dental Center of Indiana today or make an appointment.
The Dental Center of Indiana offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Bend. With 7 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Indiana, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Indiana.