Teach Your Child to Develop Good Dental Care Habits
Once your child is in school, they need to be responsible for more of their daily dental care habits. But it’s up to you as their parent to develop these habits in your child. Find the best dentist in South Bend and use these helpful hints to help your child have a great smile.
It’s essential that you help your children develop good dental habits to ensure that their teeth and gums remain healthy. Follow these five simple tips to teach your kids to take good care of their teeth:
- Brushing: By the time your children are six years old, they should know how to brush on their own. They should be brushing in the morning and at night with a soft-bristled toothbrush and a pea-sized amount of fluoridated toothpaste.
- Flossing: While this is a very important part of good dental care, many children have a hard time handling floss properly. Ask your dentist to demonstrate the right technique and then practice with your child at home until they’re comfortable using floss.
- Nutrition: Developing healthy teeth and gums requires proper nutrition. That’s why you need to feed your child nutritious foods such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and foods high in calcium. Equally as important as giving your kids healthy foods is limiting unhealthy options. Avoid feeding them foods and beverages that are sugary or full of processed carbohydrates because these can lead to cavities and other dental care problems.
- Smoking: You may not be aware that tobacco smoke may contribute to the development of tooth decay and gum disease. That’s why the best dentists say you must keep your children far away from secondhand smoke, as well as teach them the dangers of smoking.
- Dental Emergencies: With rough play at recess and afterschool sports, children are at risk for chipping, breaking, or knocking out their teeth. Find the best dentist and talk about getting them a mouth guard to wear during sports and what to do in a dental emergency.
An affordable dentist is your partner in protecting your child’s teeth and gums, so get them involved in teaching your child good dental care. The best dentist can help in many ways, including providing:
- Regular Check-ups and Cleanings: Your child should visit the dentist regularly to have their teeth cleaned and examined for dental problems.
- Protective Sealants: When your child’s permanent teeth start emerging, the best dentist will recommend protecting these teeth from decay with dental sealants. These are simply coatings placed on the chewing surfaces of the child’s molars that offer an extra level of dental protection.
- Fluoride Supplements: Children need fluoride for healthy dental development. It’s often added to toothpastes, mouthwashes, and community water systems, but some kids require more than others. Talk to an affordable dentist to determine whether a fluoride supplement or varnish would be good for your child’s teeth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Bend, call The Dental Center of Indiana today at (855) 979-3358 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Bend. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Indiana, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Indiana.