Proven Pointers for the Prevention of Gum Disease
Gum disease is common, but you don’t want to be one of the many suffering from this problem. Discover how to protect yourself from this dental damage.
Prevention is Protection
It’s easier to protect your dental health than to be treating gum disease. If you should develop gum disease and don’t seek treatment, it can advance into a severe form called periodontal disease, which attacks the gums and bones of your teeth. To save yourself from this suffering, adopt these healthy habits for the prevention of gum disease:
- Brush Your Best – In the prevention of gum disease, proper oral hygiene should be a top priority. You must brush your teeth and gums at least twice a day. And be sure to also brush your tongue to remove excess bacteria. Ask about brushing techniques when you visit your family dental clinic.
- Floss Like a Boss – Be sure to floss at least once a day to remove the plaque and particles in teeth. Flossing is vital to reach remaining bacteria that your toothbrush misses.
- Move toward Mouth Rinse – According to dentists, an anti-bacterial mouth rinse can help improve your dental health. There are many varieties, so ask your family dental clinic which mouth rinse is best for your needs.
- Get Protection from a Professional – Rather than deal with treating gum disease, you should do everything possible to protect your dental health. Along with getting professional check-ups and cleanings at your family dental clinic at least twice a year, talk to your dentist about getting a yearly periodontal examination to detect your symptoms and risks.
- Review Your Risk – Some people are simply more susceptible than others to getting periodontal disease. Factors that may translate to an increased risk include age, diet, genetics, smoking, and major health conditions. Make sure to discuss these factors with your dentist to help reduce your risk.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Bend, call The Dental Center of Indiana today at (855) 979-3358 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Bend. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of Indiana, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of Indiana.